Yesterday I was fortunate enough to get access to a work-in-progress laser cutter (aka the LAZOR). I didn’t have time to do any cutting, but was able to try out the workflow by engraving a piece of box cardboard with the same svg file I used for the Cameo based name card project. I have […]
Following on from the previous post I redesigned the z-probe holder to position the microswitch closer to the nozzle. I also forked the latest version of the Marlin firmware to correct some problems I was having with the leveling behaviour. The video below shows that the autoleveling seems to be working, but I need to […]
By far the most frustrating part of 3D printing with Squirty the RepRap has always been the strange dance you have to do to get the Z distance correct. I use a strip of paper and carefully pull it back and forth underneath the nozzle while trying to bring it close enough to the bed […]
Antony Monjauze had a question about whether OpenSCAD could be used to create a shell from an imported stl. At first I thought this wouldn’t be possible. It seems like to create a shell you would need to know something about the geometry of the stl you were importing, and OpenSCAD can’t tell you anything […]
This is a follow on from post from Hacking the Butler, which described an entry for the Singapore IoT Hackathon that I helped with. That post described the prototype we produced, this post will talk about what I learned from the experience.
My first hackathon was in April. It was fantastic experience. We came up with a cool product (1st Runner up!) and I also got to learn a lot, not just technical skills but also about how to approach product development and working in a technical team. I’m going to write two posts about the hackathon. […]
In this post I’ll describe how to make custom cut name cards for contact details. The Wife and I just moved from Singapore to the US where we are meeting lots of interesting people, so unusually for this blog the project served a practical purpose.
At the Singapore Hour of Code event I got a great tip from Melvin on how to set up a web control page for the BeerBot. In this post I’ll describe the first working version, which you can see in the video below (apologies for the robotic monotone on the voiceover).
Last month I posted about installing a ducted fan on Squirty. After installing the fan I read issue 42 of MAKE magazine and became excited about two ideas to try for testing out the ducted fan. As is often the case, I got a bit distracted trying out these ideas so it’s taken me a […]
I spent Saturday and Sunday at Singapore’s Hour of Code demonstrating the BeerBot to kiddiwinks, parents and passers by. It was at Singapore Science Centre and was organised by the same team that runs the Singapore Mini Maker Faire. It was a lot of fun and I got some great ideas from some of my […]